Litigation public relations
Winning or losing in the court of public opinion can be just as important as what happens in the court of law – before, during and after everybody has their day in court.
The importance of litigation PR in the corporate world cannot be overstated. While the legal profession has a vital role in determining and resolving the rights and wrongs of a matter, the rest of the world is forming opinions about the business, organisation and people involved. How you present your case in the public domain and to your stakeholders directly influences the equity in your brand and your social operating licence.
Working with your legal advisors to distill legal argument into plain English is fundamental as is the ability to work quickly and professionally with the media to ensure your message is communicated clearly and effectively to stakeholders.
Our Golden Rules for winning in the court of public opinion include:
- The PR team must work hand-in-glove with lawyers.
- Never allow a media “information vacuum” to develop.
- Regularly package media material in plain English to ensure the fair and accurate portrayal of the issue and the client’s position.
- Never waste an opportunity – run your own courthouse doorstop media conferences and be there to respond when the opposition makes its media moves.
- Keep stakeholders directly informed.
Riley Mathewson Public Relations are Perth’s acclaimed litigation public relations experts, with our thoughts on this crucial area of communications being recently published by The West – please don’t hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance to you.